An experienced & versatile Executive Product Management, Product Marketing & Business Development Professional with a proven track record of success from enterprise software and telecoms companies working with Utilities, Transportation, Telecom & Government market sectors. Strong focus on enterprise, mobile, web, desktop, server and cloud software, delivered as on-premise, virtual, platform and SaaS solutions. 25+ years of combined experience with Visual Analytics, Geospatial and IIoT software in asset intensive industries.
Commercially and technically astute and results orientated with effective and proven influencing skills. Experience from project collaboration and program management, product development (waterfall and agile/SAFe), full product life-cycle and product marketing to meet market requirements and improve company offerings. Additionally, extensive expertise in research and analysis, channel/ISV partner development, customer and PR liaison.
- 3 years (present) managing an Analytics & IIoT application development platform focusing on helping enterprise customers improving decision making relating to their assets (Nokia Enterprise)
- 5+ years of managing a visual/analytics solution platform sold into global and national utility and transportation companies (SpaceTime)
- Launched brand new app virtualisation solution (Embarcadero)
- Product managed a global team of engineering, industry and product marketing staff for $10million/year geospatial enterprise design desktop/server/SaaS/mobile products (Autodesk)
- Led global mobile product and software convergence projects with total budget of €4.5million (Vodafone Group, England)
- Led product introductions and early market adoption of Spatial Data Management and visual Location Intelligence solutions across EMEA. Established and developed strong working relationships with ISVs and Systems Integrators resulting in joint value-propositions and sales targets (MapInfo)
May 2018 to present
DIRECTOR, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT, CLOUD & NETWORK SERVICES, ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS
- Product Line Management responsibility for the SpaceTime Application Services (former SI Suite) visual/analytics application development platform – including documenting product requirements, scoping, releasing and advocating all aspects of associated portfolio.
- Direct and indirect team leadership spanning multiple diverse cultures and time-zones – with strong focus on engineering, UX/UI and documentation.
- Actively engaged in day-to-day agile development process, customer and partner engagements.
- Directed the development of REST API for platform and integration with numerous other systems, including Nokia’s video analytics offering for automating anomaly detection in video streams, IIoT device data streams, analytics services and numerous SQL and NoSQL data sources.
- Continuation of service from SpaceTime Insight after acquisition by Nokia in May 2018.
- Acquired significant technical skills in cloud native deployments using container-based technology stacks, such as Docker and various Kubernetes implementations.
Feb 2013 to April 2018 (5 years 2 months)
Space Time Insight, Inc (USA and UK)
DIRECTOR, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
- Product Management responsibility for both internal and external communication, product life cycle, and agile development process (using SAFe framework).
- People Management responsibility for documentation and user experience teams and roadmap for software documentation for both end-users, developers, and IT administrators – across multiple global regions.
- Responsible for and main contributor of tutorial application providing showcase and sample application components for both end-users and developers of the SI Suite platform.
- Content development of product marketing materials.
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
- Responsible for the on-going development and feature definition of an enterprise-grade visualization and analytics software platform, SI Suite, serving utilities and transportation customers with real-time situational intelligence integrating with big data, analysis services and IoT connected devices.
- Defined roadmap and managed backlog for product suite: Server, Integrated Development Environment, and Web UI.
- Developed Product Management processes for an Agile-Waterfall hybrid engineering team.
- Performed competitive analysis.
- Defined value propositions for joint selling with key technology and system integration partners.
- Conducted product launches and regular communication and webinars to both internal staff and for existing and prospective customers and partners.
June 2011 to Jan 2013 (1 year 7 months)
Embarcadero Technologies, Inc (USA)
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
- Responsible for the market introduction and on-going development of an enterprise-grade, server-based PC app store platform allowing application virtualisation for smarter enterprise software distribution, centralised license management, and end-user self-service
- Developed global product roadmap for consumer, corporate and OEM/ISV segments.
- Responsible for research and product design, documenting market and product requirements and prioritising and organising requirements and backlog in an agile development environment for a very geographically fragmented development organisation (Europe and USA).
- Performed competitive analysis of appstore and app virtualisation market, supported marketing, PR and Analyst Briefings, negotiated with Legal, Finance and conducted numerous customer/partner facing technology overviews in person and via webinars.
- Supported business development with Fortune 500 accounts and global ISVs and conducted technical due diligence for M&A targets
2006 to 2011 (5 years)
Autodesk, Inc (USA)
SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER, INFRASTRUCTURE, AEC
- Responsible for Geospatial CAD/Design Infrastructure/Web and Mobile solution and development platform with $10million in annual revenue
- Co-ordinated full life cycle projects from concept and planning to development and final delivery
- Liaised with Product Marketing, Industry Marketing, Legal (licensing terms), Finance (revenue recognition), Pricing Committee, Research & Development and Product Design
- Project managed and collaborated with a diverse global team (Canada, US, UK, Switzerland, India, China, Singapore and Australia)
- Developed and supported due diligence of M&A business cases
- Managed Autodesk contributions to geospatial open source projects (mapguide.osgeo.org and fdo.osgeo.org)
- Developed marketing materials, such as fact sheets, white papers and presentations
- Delivered numerous customer-facing presentations at conference, user groups and customer councils and hosted/presented regular webinars
2004 to 2005 (2 years)
Vodafone Group Services Ltd (UK)
HEAD OF SOFTWARE / NEW PRODUCT DEV / GROUP BUSINESS MARKETING
- Responsible for the overall management of key software development projects (web services integration and SIM-based two-factor authentication for mobile/PC offerings)
- Appointed to produce software solutions to support business development plans
- Established and managed a team of 10 product and project management staff
- Handled financial control with a total software projects budget of €4.5million
- Co-ordinated full life cycle projects from concept and planning to final delivery
- Reviewed product offerings to identify gaps in the market for exploitation
- Wrote and presented business cases and service descriptions
- Delivered business case to the product development council to gain approval
- Conducted customer research
- Supported development of value propositions for business segment customers
- Liaised with Microsoft teams and collaborated on a convergence project
1995 to 2004 (9 years)
MapInfo Ltd (UK)
EMEA DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC MARKET MANAGEMENT & BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Responsible for identifying product gaps and developing effective solutions
- Appointed to lead market research activities to identify market requirements
- Drove product development to pursue opportunities within EMEA markets
- Created value propositions for product introduction into public sector offerings leading to a 30% incremental revenue from existing customer base
- Liaised with alliance partners including Oracle, Siebel and Sun Microsystems resulting in new professional services revenue from new enterprise customers
- Developed effective relationships with partners to enable effective communication
- Presented & promoted the business to corporate customers & channel partners
- Supported location bases services, providing technical and marketing support resulting in MapInfo’s first significant LBS revenue stream from Siemens/Vodafone
- Acted as the company spokesman for MapInfo PR activities
- Spearheaded re-launch of the consumer-focused offering into EMEA markets
DIRECTOR, SPATIAL SERVER TECHNOLOGIES
- Responsible for product integration with leading spatial database server technologies resulting in MapInfo taking the technology lead with Oracle Spatial integration in Europe
- Appointed to control all MapInfo integration activities across the EMEA region
- Worked with major database vendors including Oracle, Informix and IBM
- Promoted products to EMEA markets through conferences and seminars
- Provided technical guidance and support on wireless software solutions
- Led the development of MapInfo multi-media CD and web content
EUROPEAN TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
- Responsible for technical management and on-going product development for MapInfo Professional and complimentary offerings in EMEA
- Appointed to co-ordinate and lead customer-focused technical services
- Held full financial control of the customer technical services and MIS budgets
- Provided leadership and guidance to a team of 4 pre- and post-sales support staff
- Handled the development and maintenance of management information systems
- Developed and delivered technical training for resellers and corporate clients
- Increased market presence through seminars, shows and product launches
- Successfully promoted MapInfo directly in the UK, Europe and South Africa
1987 to 1995 (8 years)
Borland International (DK and UK)
TECHNICAL PRODUCT MARKETING MANAGER
- Responsible for product promotion and brand awareness in the UK and South Africa
- Appointed to improve company turnover through effective marketing strategy
- Created and presented product launches to promote new offerings
- School of Computing, Denmark: Computer Science
- School of Technology, Denmark: Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Business College, Denmark: Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, Accounting
- School of Commerce, Denmark: Higher Certificate of Commerce
- Slagelse Gymnasium, Denmark: Equivalent to International Baccalaureate
- Linkedin courses :
- IoT Foundations: Standards and Ecosystems – April 2021
- Graphite and Grafana: Visualizing Application Performance – April 2021
- Edge Analytics: IoT and Data Science – April 2021
- Database Clinic: Neo4J – April 2021
- Creating and Managing a YouTube Channel – April 2021
- AWS for Developers: S3 – Apr 2021
- AWS: Storage and Data Management – Apr 2021
- Learning Kubernetes – Apr 2021
- Serverless Architecture – Apr 2021
- Pricing Strategy: Value-Based Pricing – Mar 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Foundations: Machine Learning – Mar 2021
- Blockchain Basics – Mar 2021
- Cert Prep: LPI Linux Essentials (010-160) – Mar 2021
- Data Visualization Tips and Tricks – Mar 2021
- Data Visualization for Data Analysis and Analytics – Mar 2021
- Data Visualization: Best Practices – Mar 2021
- Data Visualization: Storytelling – Mar 2021
- Ethical Hacking: Hacking IoT Devices – Mar 2021
- Introducing Robotic Process Automation – Mar 2021
- Learning Cloud Computing: Core Concepts – Mar 2021
- Learning Data Visualization – Mar 2021
- Introduction to Machine Learning with KNIME – Feb 2021
- Designing an Infographic – Nov 2020
- Learning Data Science: Tell Stories With Data – Sep 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Foundations: Thinking Machines – Jul 2020
- Learning Data Science: Understanding the Basics – Jul 2020
- Company sponsored courses:
- Linux Orange Belt, Nokia, Mar 2021
- Nokia Bell Labs 5G Foundation, Nokia, Mar 2021
- Numerous courses in Cloud Native technologies and IoT, Nokia 2018-2021
- Practical Product Management and Requirements That Work, Pragmatic Marketing, US
- Competition Law, eLearning, England
- Managing Performance and Coaching, Epiphanies, England
- Negotiating Skills course, Scotwork, England
- Vodafone Global Management Development Programme, IMD, Switzerland
TECHNOLOGY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Cloud native deployments using container technology stacks – Docker and Kubernetes/MicroK8s
- Data streaming technologies – Kafka, MQTT and Node RED
- IIoT Integration, including video stream anomaly detection and Raspberry PI sensors
- SQL and NoSQL database technologies – Oracle, mySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Apache Drill, MongoDB, AWS S3
- REST APIs and Web Services – Postman
- Analytics technologies – R, KNIME
- Documentation authoring – Oxygen and RoboHelp
- Document and project management tools – Confluence, Jira
- File and code management – GIT/Gerrit, PuTTY, FileZilla
- General Office productivity – MS Office, Google Docs
- Video and messaging platforms – Teams, Zoom, WebEx, GotoMeeting, Skype, Slack, Messenger, Twitter, Signal, WhatsApp
- Video and image authoring – CamStudio, VSDC, OBS Studio, Paintshop Pro
- HTML/CSS design and development – WordPress
- Various CAD and GIS tools – ArcGIS Online, MapInfo, AutoCAD Map
- OS – Windows 7/10, MacOS X, Linux (Ubuntu/Raspberry PI OS)
- Social platforms – Facebook, Instagram
- Remote Desktop: Windows RD, Chrome Remote Desktop, TeamViewer
- Languages: Fluent – English and Danish
- Danish National
- UK Resident 1991-2006, 2014-present (Reading)
- US Resident 2006-2013 (San Francisco Bay Area)
- Permit status – entitled to work in the EU and EEA – “settled” status in the UK
- Founder of Dedita Design – web design & development